03 Oct Achari Spiced Chicken Flatbreads with Shredded Red Cabbage Salad and Lime Pickle Mayo
Traditionally, Achari curry is made using leftover pickling spices. We have adapted these flavours into a wonderful spice mix which once combined with coconut milk, makes a pretty incredible marinade. In this recipe, we use chicken thighs, which have a much better flavour and texture than breast meat.
The spice mix also works beautifully on a piece of pork belly, slow cooked and then shredded into the flat breads and served in the same way as below. Heat-wise, we’ve kept this recipe fairly tame but feel free to add more chilli and really spice it up.
For the Chicken:
- 750g chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ¼ teaspoon nigella seeds
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 cardamom pods, use seeds, discard shell
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 75 g coconut cream
For the Flatbreads (makes 10-12)
- 300g natural yoghurt
- 300g self raising flour
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp bicarb
- 1 tsp salt
For the Cabbage:
- ½ red cabbage
- Small handful sultanas
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
For the Lime Pickle Mayo:
- 3 tbsp lime pickle
- 6 tbsp mayo
- A good squeeze of lime juice
- Small bunch coriander
- Red chillis
To prepare the chicken:
- Toast the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella, black peppercorns, and cardamom seeds in a skillet and allow to cool. Once the spices have cooled grind to a fine powder.
- Add the freshly ground spices and all remaining ingredients except the chicken to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken thighs and make sure every piece is covered with the marinade.
- Place the chicken in the fridge and marinade for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably overnight.
For the cabbage:
- Finely shred the cabbage and place into a bowl.
- Toast the cumin seeds and add to the cabbage along with the sultanas and redwine vinegar.
For the lime pickle mayo:
- Add all the ingredients to a small blender and blitz until fully combined and smooth.
For the flatbreads:
- Sift the flour with the bicarb, cumin and coriander into a large bowl. Add the salt followed by the yoghurt and combine into a nice soft dough. If the dough is too sticky add a touch more flour.
- Leave the dough to rest for a few minutes before using.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and place on a floured work surface. Divide the dough into 10.
- Roll each piece into a ball and using a rolling pin roll a few millimetres thick.
To cook the flatbreads:
- Make sure to remove the chicken from the fridge for up to an hour before cooking (whilst the chicken is coming up to temperature, light your bbq. Set your BBQ up for direct grilling but leaving some space on the end for indirect to rest your chicken)
- Skewer the chicken
- Grill the skewers on a high heat until they are cooked through and lightly charred all over. Move the skewers to an indirect heat to rest for 5 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is resting cook your flatbreads over the hot coals turning every few minutes. When they begin to puff they’re cooked.
- Place the flatbreads onto a plate and cover with a tea towel so that they don’t dry out.
- Place everything on to big platter garnish with chopped coriander and finely sliced chillies.
- Let everybody dig in and build their own flatbreads!